Wednesday, October 10, 2012

EVE Online


Title: Eve Online
Platform Played On: PC
Release Date: May 6, 2003

Date Played: 2009,  March - October 2012

Time Played: 500+ hours

Completed (Y/N): N/A

Score: 4/5




Opinion:

Eve Online came out quietly; however over the years it has become one of the most notorious video games in the world. It is the one MMO that makes headlines and refuses to die with the rest of them.

I am not a huge fan of Sci Fi MMOs, none of them managed to grab me, and so naturally EVE Online's launch and first years of service went by unnoticed by me. It wasn't until 2009 when I came across a notorious article about a multi thousand dollar scam in EVE that it gained my attention. I decided to check it out and promptly made an account.

There were a few things I learned immediately. One being the fact that EVE is not a welcoming game, the tutorials were barely sufficient enough to figure out how to move from point A to point B and in general trying to understand what was going on was reminiscent of taking an advanced calculus class in High School. After playing EVE for about 3 months (most of which consisted of just training skills and running a few rat missions here and there) I decided to end my subscription.

In the spring of 2012 I decided that I was bored with the monotony and sameness of all current MMOs and decided to give EVE another go. This time I was a lot more successful at learning the ropes and even established my own supply chain of PI (Planetary Interaction) goods from within a wormhole that my corporation captured and built a base in. These goods provided me enough dough to keep paying for my subscription, and so I continued on for the lack of a better term farming the materials and turning them around for profit in Jita. The first couple of months I found myself running missions, mining asteroid belts and zipping through wormholes. Eventually though I got right back into the mode of basically logging in a few times a day to check up on my PI and skill queue. And by October with Guild Wars 2 to fill the MMO void and a ton of my corp members leaving for greener pastures I decided that it was time to end my subscription. I still was raking in more than enough dough every month to keep my subscription for free; however I grew tired of needing to log in a few times a day to maintain my factories. And so when my subscription ran out on October 7th 2012, with nearly a billion ISK in the wallet and half a billion in assets (PLEX, the 30 day subscription goes for about 500 million) I froze my account. Perhaps I will return to it one day.

Eve Online is a very interesting MMO. It is unique in many way that is for sure. Just the mere fact that everything goes in the world of EVE is a pretty big departure from care bare MMOs. If all of a sudden all game development stopped and I had no other games to play I would definitelly consider EVE to be my one game. It's vastness and unpredictability is luring. However with so much other stuff going on I simply do not have the time for it. EVE's learning curve may be astounding; however it is a very deep and enjoyable game. I really enjoyed playing it; but at this point I feel like I got everything I wanted out of it. EVE as an MMO is stronger than ever, with its dozen expansions and ever evolving true to its definition "world" EVE is an amazing game. Perhaps we will meet again pilot Duxa Chaeros of Minmatar descent.

My Corp and I Destroying a Customs Office In Our Wormhole So That We Can Establish Our Own

No comments: