Friday, September 7, 2012

General Chaos


Title: General Chaos
Platform Played On:
 Sega Genesis
Release Date:
 1994
Date Played:
 1996-1997
Time Played:
 10 hours
Completed (Y/N):
 No
Score:
 4/5




Opinion:

My early teens were spent playing games on at the time amazing Sega Genesis. One of the games I happened to play was General Chaos, a satirical strategy game similar in some aspects to the modern day Team Fortress.

At the time I hardly knew 20 words in English, and so the campaign was of little interest to me. I spent most of my time with General Chaos playing skirmish matches against the computer or against my friend Alexei Gavrish.

The premise is fairly simple. Pick a team of 5 soldiers, each specializing in a firearm. They could use machine guns, bazookas, flame throwers, demolitions and explosives. After picking your team you are put on the battlefield. Your goal is to defeat the opposing team, also consisting of 5 soldiers. While your squad uses their weapons when at range, if you manage to get in melee range then your soldiers can kick and punch their opponent.

Developers of General Chaos did a good job with the art style, each character had his own personality. My favorite was the Chuck Norris looking dude.

Now that I think about it, Team Fortress 2 reminds me a lot of General Chaos, the sense of humor is very similar and the character classes are basically the same. The one major difference is that TF2 is an FPS and General Chaos is an isometric RTS game. I wouldnt be surprised if the original Team Fortress concept was at lest somewhat inspired by General Chaos.

I really enjoyed General Chaos; however I never got to own a copy, so once my friend wanted his game back I had to give it up. Nevertheless I really enjoyed that game, even without knowing English it managed to make me laugh and have fun either vs the CPU or vs my friends. While there is no reason to go back and play it now, it will forever be in my memory as one of my favorite Sega Genesis games.

No comments: