Monday, May 28, 2012

Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel


Title: Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
Platform Played On:
 PSP
Release Date:
 June 13, 2006
Date Played:
 Summer 2008
Time Played:
 2 hours
Completed (Y/N):
 Yes
Score:
 5/5





Opinion:

Although technically not a game MGS: Digital Graphic Novel is an excellent piece of gaming content for the PSP.

MGSDGN... (crazy acronym)... is the retelling of the PS1 classic in a graphic novel style. You can find my opinion on Metal Gear Solid (here).

There actually is not much to say about this PSP release. It is exactly how you would expect it to be and tells the story you would expect it to tell. The art style chosen and the animations accompanied by sound effects look and sound great on high resolution PSP screen. There is one thing that I wish they did for MGSDGN and that is to fully voice it. I can see why they would choose not to (aside from budgetary reasons), its a graphic novel after all... and everything else about it is perfect.

It has been many years since I played MGS, and so to rekindle my memory I was presented with two choices. Replay the whole thing on the PSP (PSX emulator), or enjoy two hours of the digital graphic novel. I chose the latter. It was a great experience. The creators did an excellent job with the battle scenes utilizing cool camera and sound techniques to make you feel like you are in the battle. At times I would feel that I was watching a movie and not reading a book.

If you are a fan of comic books, and/or want to remember your play through Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, I would definitely recommend this graphic novel. It accomplishes everything it sets out to do, and in my book thats a 5 out of 5.

PS - The entire thing (About 2 hours) is available on youtube. So there is no reason to not check it out!



No comments: