Sunday, September 18, 2011

Too Human


Title: Too Human
Platform Played On: Xbox 360
Release Date: August 19, 2008
Date Played: August 2008
Time Played: 40+ hours
Completed (Y/N): Yes
Score:
4/5


Opinion:
I dont know how, but I managed to avoid all the hype and backlash related to Silicon Knights's game Too Human (infact I had no idea about it until shortly before its release).  Perhaps this is the reason why I found myself enjoying the heck out of this game.  I did quite a bit of single player, but the majority of my time was spent playing co-op with a friend (Devin). Together we have beaten the game multiple times on increasingly higher difficulty levels in attempt to get better and better equipment (Diablo style).

The loot system is not the only thing that Too Human borrows from the Diablo series. In fact it is basically a sci-fi version of Diablo rooted in Norse mythology.

You start by choosing between a couple different classes and embark on an interesting, maybe even unique journey to fight back a race of robots that want to destroy humanity.

Perhaps it is the fact that the game was in development for 10 years that rose people's expectations. I did not have any expectations going in and thoroughly enjoyed the dozens of hours I spent with Too Human.  Playing it co-op definitely helped make the experience more fun, but playing it solo it feels like a solid action-rpg set in an interesting world, which tells a story from the Norse mythology. A topic very rarely explored in any entertainment media.

The only issue I had with the game was it's inventory management, it could have really used more work in that department, but to be fair inventory in a game with hundreds (if not thousands) of items on a console is a hard thing to make perfect.

Too Human is supposed to be a trilogy, but the game did not meet the expected sales (partialy due to overhype), so I dont know if that will ever happen.

All silly expectations aside, I would definitely recommend Too Human for its unique setting and fun gameplay to any action-rpg enthusiast, especially if they have a buddy to jump into co-op with.

No comments: